Aaron M. McKown
- Commercial Litigation
- Partnership Disputes
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- PPE Transactions
Having served as in-house counsel for Bank of America at the height of the recent banking crisis, Aaron recognizes the need to balance zealous legal advocacy with finding immediate, pragmatic business solutions.
Although no longer working in-house, Aaron continues to believe that providing effective legal advice requires a thorough understanding of a client's business, its products and strategy. It is this commitment to serving as "outside" in-house counsel that allows Aaron to deftly assess, develop and implement cost-effective business solutions for the difficult legal disputes facing Wrenn Bender's clients.
Aaron has broad experience in all areas of complex commercial litigation but focuses his practice on the representation of corporate and private clients in intellectual property disputes. Aaron has a particular expertise in trademark claims, domain name disputes, and internet law; he currently serves as lead counsel for GoDaddy.com, Inc. in a cybersquatting action filed by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences. Aaron also developed an expertise in handling life settlement, premium financing, and trustee liability disputes.
In addition to his work on litigation matters, Aaron provides corporate transactional services for clients across the country, often drafting and negotiating commercial contracts. Aaron also works closely with business startups, handling issues related to corporate formation and intellectual property protection.
Prior to joining Wrenn Bender, Aaron was a partner with the global law firm of Bryan Cave LLP, where he spent one year managing nationwide litigation as an assistant general counsel with Bank of America. Aaron currently serves on the Board of Directors for Music For A Cure, a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing the curative properties of music to children suffering from life-threatening medical conditions. He also provides pro bono legal services to the organization on matters relating to intellectual property.
Aaron spends the majority of his time outside the office wrangling his two young sons. He recently developed an appreciation for the term "sibling rivalry." In Aaron's house, the rivalry most often manifests itself as Anakin Skywalker vs. Darth Vader; the nuance of prequels is still light years away.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2000
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Law Review: North Carolina Law Review, Editor, 1999 - 2000
- University of Southern California, California
- B.A. - 1996
- Honors: summa cum laude
- California, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- Cozen O’Connor, Shareholder
- Bryan Cave LLP, Partner
- Greenberg Traurig, Associate
- Preston Gates & Ellis, Associate
- Gordon & Rees, Associate
Current Employment Position
- Managing Partner